Checking. Always checking. My heart feels lightheaded, my brain
buzzes with bizarre thoughts, and my stomach is flooded with a deep welling
feeling of doom. The sensation comes in waves of irrational worry and looping
thoughts colliding in the caverns of my mind.
It speaks. I must check. It builds, it beckons, it berates.
Check once
Check twice
Check three times
Keys, I see them, I feel them. Check
Wallet, I see it, I hold it. Check
Phone, I see it, I touch it. Check
Check once
Check twice
Check three times
All is calm. The waves have been quelled and the nagging pressure
inside subsides.
And I am free; out the door and onto the street.
I can hear the ding and roll of the street car grinding against the
rails. There is noisy chatter from two joggers passing by and the smell of
yeast; a thick bready smell that dampens the air as it spirals from the brewery
and stings my nose.
Down the block and past the brewery. Another door opens and I am
in the coffee shop. The sweet gritty smell of roasted, ground, dripped coffee
pulses throughout the place.
Sit, sip, relax, read. My brain is calm. The relentless repetitive inner
thoughts are abated and satisfied…at least for the time being.
Glancing at the clock it is time to go, but my feet are stuck in
place. Cemented and waiting until the urge to check has been compelled to
silence.
Check once
Check twice
Check three times
Keys, their glint catches my eye, the cool metal traces my hand. Check
Wallet, the rosy leather exterior is in view, I weigh it in my hand.
Check
Phone, the glossy apple comes into focus, I touch the cracks and
edges. Check
Check once
Check twice
Check three times
Breath, exhale, breath, exhale. Everything is in order. You are in
control. The surge of overwhelming panic is gone. And you are unrestricted from
taking a step out the door.
By Blakelee Kelley
I don't know why it is easier to write about the hard stuff. Maybe it is how I work things out in my head, but it seems to come easier. I'll work on writing something more light-hearted one of these days. This is a take on my anxiety and OCD. There are times in my life when it is completely under control and other times where it is a cyclical monster.
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness! I am blown away by your writing once again. This is so great. I especially love the line "The sensation comes in waves of irrational worry and looping thoughts colliding in the caverns of my mind." This captures a feeling that I can completely relate to as I have very high anxiety and am constantly having to work on ways to remain in control of my emotions and nerves. This piece was not only easy to relate to, but also very honest and genuine. Just to be clear, are you checking for your keys, phone, wallet each time? Or just your keys? I know I am supposed to give a suggestion, but honestly, I don't know what you could do to make it better! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness! I am blown away by your writing once again. This is so great. I especially love the line "The sensation comes in waves of irrational worry and looping thoughts colliding in the caverns of my mind." This captures a feeling that I can completely relate to as I have very high anxiety and am constantly having to work on ways to remain in control of my emotions and nerves. This piece was not only easy to relate to, but also very honest and genuine. Just to be clear, are you checking for your keys, phone, wallet each time? Or just your keys? I know I am supposed to give a suggestion, but honestly, I don't know what you could do to make it better! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteHi Angelene,
ReplyDeleteThanks for the feedback. It is always nice to hear when others relate to the same struggles you are going through. To answer your question, yes I am checking for my keys, phone, and wallet each time.
Ok Blakelee, I will try to do the assignment and provide a suggestion, but it's going to be tough. This is beautiful! I love all the alliteration, and the image of waves and thoughts colliding in the caverns of the mind! And the repetition of checking. It's all so perfect. I feel as if I'm on the street, hearing the streetcar, smelling the brewery stench.
ReplyDeleteThe only part that's not quite clear is why your feet are stuck in place after glancing at the clock. Is it the need to check everything before you can move? [I like the image of your feet being cemented.]
Honestly, the only suggestions I can make are of an editing nature, so here goes: you could change "passed the brewery" to past; I'm not sure about the "think bready smell".
I hope that your writing will find a wider audience than just our class, and soon! Thank you for sharing this beautiful poem with us.
Thanks for the feedback Betsy. I will clarify the part about my feet being stuck a bit more. You are right that it is supposed to be about not being able to move until I check for everything. Also I greatly appreciate the editing and mechanics feedback. This is the biggest area of struggle for me, so inevitably I always make some sort of mistake(s) :)
ReplyDeleteYou are such an amazing writer! I would love to be able to describe the world as you do.
DeleteLooking forward to reading your next work!
You are such an amazing writer! I would love to be able to describe the world as you do.
DeleteLooking forward to reading your next work!
Hey Blakelee! This was a blast to read! You have a wonderfully creative way with words that makes the flow and structure of your writing so easy to read. You seem like you would have a talent in poetry. Do you read or write poetry ever? I have no suggestion for your writing other than keep it up! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete