|
Bernadine
and Hailen were no strangers to moving.
1
|
They
were used to the constant motion of the car.
It was
like being a sailor riding the waves out at sea.
2
|
|
With
each move the two sisters would take their posts, spreading out in the
backseat. One on the right and the other on the left.
3
|
Bernadine
always in an unusual hat. Hailen always displaying mismatched socks.
Ready
for the next journey.
4
|
|
They were
used to living out of boxes and suitcases piled high like the peaks of
mountains.
5
|
Trekking
to the top to retrieve gloves, or headphones, or a stuffed bear. And hoping
that there would not be a cardboard avalanche.
6
|
|
Down the
coast and back up again.
Watching
the landscape change in a blur.
7
|
Their
home was the wind, wide open fields, forests of trees, and tires singing on
the road.
8
|
|
That is
until the day they rolled down the dusty farm drive.
They
came to a stop in front of a red barn door and were greeted by smiles, hugs,
llamas, and hay.
9
|
Aunt and
Uncle Pfaffer’s farm was a pass through. A dot on a map. Another place to
rest and refuel.
10
|
|
At that
moment Bernadine and Hailen did not realize that the farm would lead to home.
11
|
…Or at
least the farm would lead to the home under the stairs.
12
|
|
Upon
looking at the stairs they appeared like any ordinary set of stairs, in any
neighborhood, in any house.
13
|
Made of
wood and nails and carpet and railing.
The kind
of stairs that creek and growl when they are walked on.
14
|
|
But
under the stairs was a cubby sized door with a brass knob in the shape of an
elephant.
15
|
And
beyond the door were infinite possibilities and the promise of a world that
felt of home.
16
|
|
The
first time that Bernadine and Hailen swung open the door and gazed inside
they discovered the comfort and magic of the place under the stairs.
17
|
No adult
No
parent
No aunt
or uncle
seemed
shocked or concerned about what the two sisters and discovered.
18
|
|
It is as
if they knew it was there all along. As if they had once experienced its’
magic.
19
|
And were
waiting for the girls to stumble on the door and name the world behind as
their home.
20
|
|
Every
time that Bernadine and Hailen turned the brass elephant knob, peeled open
the cubby sized door and crawled inside there was a unfamiliar world to
explore.
There
was a tire swing that hurled them straight to the craters of the moon.
21
|
There
was a Chinese restaurant that served nothing but noodles and dumplings, while
firecrackers banged and dragons danced.
22
|
|
There was
a dog the size of a grizzly bear with black and white cow spots that ate
whole turkeys in one gulp and decorated cakes.
23
|
There
were rows and rows of bushes heavy with white clusters of flowers. Bernadine
and Hailen would pluck them and the flowers would turn to snowballs in their
hands. Ripe for a snowball fight as the ground turned to powder and ice.
24
|
|
There
were fire walkers and rebar benders that put on fanciful shows and bowed for
the audience.
25
|
There
were cats that dressed in disguise. Masquerading as opossums and playing hide
and seek among Douglas Fir trees and Scotch Broom.
26
|
|
There
was a rock pile made of glass that swallowed shoes and socks and led to a
creek running amber with honey.
27
|
There
was a moose that lived in an apple tree and threw green and red fruit at
unwanted visitors. Bernadine and Hailen would gather the scattered fruit to
make apple pie.
28
|
|
There
was a field full of fairies who whispered and whirled and grew marshmallows
to be harvested for roasting on an open fire.
29
|
And a
llama named Marshall that befriended Bernadine and Hailen. He greeted them
with a kiss on the cheek, a “How do you do?” and served as their guide in the
world under the stairs.
30
|
|
When the
day was done and the sun would begin to nod off to sleep Bernadine and Hailen
would reappear from behind the door to join their family and hold tight the
anticipation in their stomachs until they could return again.
31
|
They had
forgotten the mountain of boxes, the singing tires, and the whipping of wind.
Moving
was no longer a familiar companion, but more a hazy memory.
Bernadine
and Hailen had found a place, a world, their home under the stairs.
32
|
Thursday, April 7, 2016
Untitled Picturebook
* I thought I would give the picture book a shot this week, since we need one for our portfolio. I don't have illustrations yet, but below you will find the words for my picture book. The numbers at the bottom of each box indicate the page numbers for the picture book. I don't have a title yet, so any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I would love any feedback or changes that you have to offer that will help make this picture book better. Thanks!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I can hardly wait to read the book with pictures! You have such a wonderful gift with words. Your descriptions are delicious! I love how you brought closure by reflecting that moving was a "hazy memory," and at the same time contrasted that with the home under the stairs.
ReplyDeleteI had a couple of thoughts as I read:
On page 2, do you need the word "out?"
page 11: at what moment? can you be more specific?
There may be a typo on page 18. It doesn't make sense as it is.
The story is terrific! Again, I can hardly wait to see it all put together!
Betsy
I reread your story. I had forgotten to comment on the use of alliteration. Perfect! Still love it!
DeleteI reread your story. I had forgotten to comment on the use of alliteration. Perfect! Still love it!
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteBetsy,
ReplyDeleteThanks for the feedback. I will definitely delete the word "out" on page 2. You're right, there is a typo on page 18. It should say "had discovered" instead of "and discovered."
Blakelee,
ReplyDeleteThis should be published! I mean, for real, published! It is fantastic! As I was reading, I couldn't help but envision it in a picture book and being read aloud to a group of eager students. Betsy is right....you have such a gift with words! Your use of imagery is outstanding. I loved how you described all the things under the stairs in the closet as if they were entire new worlds to discover. I, like Betsy, am SO excited to see this with illustrations. I am curious...where did you get the idea for this? Is it from a special childhood memory perhaps?
Hey Blakelee!
ReplyDeleteSorry for the late comment. It's been a long week. First of all, I love this!!!!! It speaks so well to the student audience that is used to moving all the time. My mom had a childhood quite similar to this, where most of her memories are from the car she spent most of her time in. I enjoy the word selection for slide 8. It made me think of all the fun road trips I've been on. I saw a little typo on slid 18 where and should be had*. I wish I was an artist because I can see the awesome illustrations that would fit into each slide. This would have taken me a long time to write! I'm really impressed! Thanks for sharing!
Cody